First-round revision Book 6 unit 3 A healthy life (Teaching plan)
For students in Class 3 Senior 3 by Jenny.Shan
1. Knowledge objectives: students can recognize the following key words and useful phrases: stress, ban, effect, in spite of, due to, get into the habit of, and impress the usage of them by finishing some tasks with my instruction as well.
2. Ability objectives: Through some specific practice, firstly , students can deal with the blanks relevant to those words and phrases in grammar cloze; secondly, students can use those in writing correctly when talking about a healthy life.
3. Emotion objectives: students can be better aware of the harm of eating snacks and improve their awareness of keeping healthy .
Teaching important points :
1. The usage of the key words and phrases.
2. The correctly using of the key words and phrases in writing.
Teaching difficult points:
To enable students to apply the language points they have reviewed in this period to writing correctly.
Step 1 Read and review the new words in this unit which were reviewed yesterday. (5 minutes)
The words are presenting on the screen of the computer.
Step 3 Recall the meaning and usage of the key words and useful phrases (15 minutes)
I. Figure out the meaning and part of speech of the underlined words and take notes . As for the underlined phrases, figure out their meaning and then take notes. (8 minutes)
1. Smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or taking other drugs produce many harmful effects and have no real benefits. So why do adolescents do it? Perhaps some think it makes them look tough or cool. Others may think it will help them with stress in their lives. Some may just want to experiment. What they do not realize is how easy it is to become addicted to them.
2. After our headteacher stressed the importance of being punctual, he has never been late for school any longer.
3. Since the ban on smoking in public places was released, the number of smokers has been decreasing, which has an positive effect on the society.
4. Smokers are banned from smoking in public places, which ever brought him much inconvenience and often made him feel awkward. However, to his credit, he managed to give up smoking due to his wife’s assistance and support.
due to ___________
5. In spite of all his efforts he failed. He was so disappointed about himself that he felt like crying.
in spite of
6. Once getting into the habit of getting up early, you will feel easy from every morning and embrace more pleasant daily life .
get into the habit of
II. Check the result and summarize the usage of the key words and phrases briefly. (7 minutes)
1.effect n. 效果，影响，作用 →affect vt. 影响→effective adj. 有效的
the harmful effect of smoking 吸烟的坏处
have an (great/positive/negative/no) effect on 对......有影响
come into effect (新的法律，规则或制度）生效
2. stress n. 压力，重音；vt. 强调，加压力于，使紧张→ stressed 感到有压力的，感到紧张的stressful adj. 紧张的，让人产生压力的
under the stress of 在......压力下
lay stress on 重视
stress the importance of being modest 强调谦虚的重要性
3. ban vt. 禁止；取缔；n.禁令；谴责→banned→banned
a ban on sth ...... 的禁令
ban (doing) sth. 禁止做某事
ban sb. from doing sth. 禁止某人做某事
4. due to = because of 因为，由于 (介词性短语+名词)
5. in spite of = despite 虽然，尽管，不管 (介词性短语 + 名词)
6. get into the habit of =form the habit of 养成......的习惯
Step 4. Consolidate the usage of the key words and phrases by practice. (20 minutes)
I. Grammar cloze (5 minutes)
(1) Nowadays , a number of parents have been aware of the negative ______ (affect ) of eating snack food and fast food. Moreover they lay stress ____ providing their children with healthy food. As a result, some imported candies and biscuits gain great popularity in spite of their astonishingly high price.
(2) The Chinese government has decided to ban _____ (smoke) in public places throughout the country, which made many non-smokers delighted.
(3) At present , an increasing number of Senior 3 students are getting _______ (stress) due to the approach of the final exam.
(4) To better this situation, some ________ (effect) measures should be taken.
II. Translation and combination (10 minutes)
1. (1)众所周知， 吃零食对身体没好处。（have a negative effect on )
(2)许多青少年不顾零食的危害，养成了吃零食的习惯。（in spite of; get into the habit of )
2. (1)为了改善青少年的健康状况，必须采取一些措施。（take some measures)
(2)老师应当经常强调健康饮食的重要性,并帮助学生养成健康饮食的好习惯。（stress the importance of ；get into the habit of)
(3)政府应当禁止在校园内或校门口开超市向学生出售零食。（ban doing sth.)
(4) 呼吁商家增强社会责任感，不能为了赚钱生产低劣的食品。（strengthen the social responsibility )
First of all...; In addition...; Finally...
On the one hand ...; On the other hand ...; In addition/What’s more ......
III. Ask two students write down their sentences on the blackboard and then check the translations together, after which I’ll ask students try to combine each group of sentences according to the instruction. Then I will show them a possible version as example on the screen and require them to read. (5 minutes)
Assignments after class Name: Score:
1. Read the text on page 18～19 of book6 to go over the words your have reviewed in this unit. Find out at least 10 useful phrases and write down them on the lines.
1. ______________________________ 2.________________________________
3. ______________________________ 4. _______________________________
5. _______________________________ 6.________________________________
7. _______________________________ 8.________________________________
9. ________________________________ 10. _______________________________
My dear grandson, your mother tells me that you started smoking some time ago and now you are finding 1.______ difficult to give it up. In fact, when I was young, I didn’t know much about the harmful 2._______ (affect) of smoking and also get into the habit of smoking. I didn’t know, for example, that it could do damage to your heart and lungs or that it was more difficult for smoking couples to become pregnant. I certainly didn’t know their babies may have a smaller birth weight or even be 3._______ (normal) in some way. 4._______ did I know that my cigarette smoke could affect the health of non-smokers. However, 5._______ I did know was that my girlfriend thought I smelt terrible. She said my breath and clothes smelt, and 6._______ the ends of my fingers were turning yellow. She told me that she wouldn’t go out with me again 7.________ I stopped! I also noticed that I became 8._______ ( breath) quickly, and that I wasn’t enjoying sport as much. When I was taken off the school football team because I was unfit, I knew it was time 9._______ (quit) smoking. To my delight, I did finally managed to get rid of the bad habit. So I am sending you some advice I found 10.________ the Internet. I do hope you can succeed in fighting against it so that you can live as long and healthy life as I have.